History of St. Paul’s
St. Paul’s is the Anglican Church in Almonte. The fine stone church and rectory are located on the banks of the Mississippi River. Its design has been described as English Parish Gothic.
Prior to 1863 services were held at the Temperance Hall on Union Street, rented at $1.25 a month. Music was provided by Mr. Bennett Rosamond who brought a small melodeon with him from his own house.
In 1862, it was decided “…that the new church be erected in the village of Almonte and be named St. Paul’s.”
The church was consecrated on St. Peters Day, June 29th, 1864, with the Rev. Peter Slade as rector.
We celebrated our 150th Anniversary in 2013., with the Rev. Paticia Martin as our rector.
From the original group of 12 families, we have grown to over 200 individuals and families who are active members of our parish.
Click here for details of our History to 1963, our centenary year.
Click here for details of our more recent history, to 2013, our 150th anniversary.
Click here for details about our Creation Story mural.